Rear Admiral Pierpaolo RIBUFFO
Rear Admiral Ribuffo was born in Livorno on January 1st 1965, and graduated from the naval academy as an Ensign, in 1987. He then attended the U.S. Navy flight school, becoming a naval aviator in 1989.
He earned a master’s degree in maritime and naval sciences and attended a II level university master in strategic studies and international security, the NATO Defense College (2003) and the U.S. Naval Command College (2012).
His main assignments were:
• flight commander, frigate Zeffiro and destroyers Durand de La Penne and Mimbelli;
• commanding officer, offshore patrol vessel Cassiopea (1995 – 1996);
• project officer, NH-90 international helicopter program, at the Navy General Staff (1996-1999);
• flag lieutenant to the chief of the Navy;
• commanding officer, frigate Libeccio (2004 – 2005), taking her twice into the Arabian sea and the Gulf, during two different participation rounds in operation Enduring Freedom;
• commanding officer, off shore patrol vessels squadron 1 (2005-2006);
• director, midshipmen courses, naval academy (2006-2009);
• commanding officer, destroyer Luigi Durand de La Penne (2009-2011);
• executive assistant to the chief of the Navy (2013-2014);
• flag officer, naval group 3, leading the task group in operation Mare Sicuro, in the Central Mediterranean Sea (2014-2016);
• superintendent, Naval Academy (2016-2019);
• chief of staff, Fleet Command (2019-2021).
He is presently serving as Maritime Commander - North, since the 13th of October 2021. He is married and has two daughters. He speaks English, Spanish and French.